It's starting to feel like crunch time at MADART Studios™! Lot's of preparation required to get my booth ready for Surtex 2014 in New York on May 18-20th. My hotel and plane tickets have been booked and a slight change of plans with my assistant; my friend Mindy went with me last time and was going to go again this year but some personal issues made her decide it was best to stay home this trip, which I totally understand :) So, my daughter Aroon is going to come with me instead, bonus...she's 6' tall so I (she) will barely need a step stool to reach the top of the banners, haha!
I'm researching my banner options, I went with a local printer, CSI Signs, last time and they did an amazing job quickly and not too expensive, I will be comparing their pricing with some other options. I'm going to get some sample banners from a couple of online printing companies that I have purchased postcards and prints from in the past that I know have great color results, the most important part of the banner, it MUST be true to the original arts colors! I will let you all know how that goes, if it works out or not :)
Last time I went to Surtex I had grommet holes placed on the top of the banners and used some hooks and this worked fairly well, but I'm thinking I will be going with command strips this time around as it will help the banners lay flat against the walls in a better manner.
While I'm doing all this prepping for the show I still have lot's of art to create and finish up some collections along with providing art for my agent, Art Licensing, needless to say I've been putting in some long painting/computer hours, but it's what I love to do so it's more fun than work! I recently completed some collage designs for my agent, something different, but always fun to experiment with new designs and ideas.
My hotel is now booked for Surtex 2014! Last time I went, my assistant friend Mindy and I stayed at a hotel in Hell's Kitchen, but we would end up going over to Times Square every night taking in all the sites and sounds and food, which was a long walk, especially at night and in the cold. So, this year I decided we should be closer to all the action :) I used my Marriott rewards points to get us a hotel on Fifth Avenue, just a block from Times Square.
I've been saving all of my rewards points for this trip which has saved me the entire cost of the hotel room! This is just one way to cut costs and make the Surtex trip less stressful and easier on the pocketbook. You could also do the same with reward points for airplane tickets, car rentals, any number of options to help balance out the expenses of Surtex.
I'm in the process of organizing my plans and new collections for the upcoming show in Surtex this May in New York City. I will be in Booth #217 and very excited to once again share my art with manufacturers looking to license art for their products!
I have a checklist I am working on of things I need to do, some deadlines, collection ideas, etc. Here is what I have so far, but it can and will change over time, I'm sure!
NOTES FOR SURTEX 2014
1. Advertise in Licensing Report art for Summer Edition
2. Postcards, first small one send out in February then in March send out a larger one
3. In April/early May make appointments to meet with manufacturers in the booth
4. Work on Press releases - debuting new collections, etc. one in Feb. March and then April?
-use the Alaskan angle and three generations of women artists in the family?
5. Hotel, use rewards points
6. Plane Tickets - Jet Blue
7. Order some Deny designs trays maybe magnet boards to use for display in Surtex Booth - Shelves? Woobie book on display
8. Bring phone cases to display? what other products can I share? Metal art piece?
9. Order another Tablet for sharing art
10. Organize images on tablets in collections
11. Create sell/tear sheets, do a blurb book or how to show more art, ideas? Create more Mockups
12. Aroon's art 12 images for calendar, etc. "Happiness is..."© collection
13. MAD outfitters collection, see if Tervis, other co's are going to be there, make specific appointment
14. Order extra table and chair(s) for meetings and order extra stool/chair if Aroon goes for main table
15. Design Banners and have printed
16. Decide whether to ship direct to site or bring everything on the plane with me
17. Booth signage custom created
Christmas, Coastal, Floral, Inspirational, flower pots, woodland, garden fairies/angels, bird houses, Birds ~ Mom coffee cups, Aroon...Decide which one's to share early on website and safe some for debuting at the show.
Here is what my booth looked like in 2010, I had an 8'x10' corner booth, but this year I am going with a larger 10'x15 corner booth (#217) , because I have more art to show, which is a VERY good thing!
The next four months are going to be ALL about prepping and creating for SURTEX: Selling & Licensing Original Art & Design! I will be creating lot's of new art and collections to share with manufacturers to offer beautiful, colorful and uplifting products. Currently working on flower pot/vase paintings in a collection of 12 coordinating images that can work as a group for calendars or individually or in sets of smaller amounts. Each painting is going to be created in layers of hand painted designs and elements that can be rearranged to fit any product dimensions.
Keep up to date on all the Licensing Activities going on at MADART Studios™